Saturday, September 4, 2010

Devil in the White City #2

Oh, I'm bad. But I'm also busy at school. Wish Laura and I had talked at the beginning of the summer. We'd be on our third book.

So, several of you have read Devil before. I'm rereading it again. Which part do you find the most amazing? The part that at such a time in Chicago's history men could figure out how to build tall buildings in an area that was not suited for them? How men with little architectural experience could figure out such amazing things? How they built these fabulous buildings that were temporary? List your favorite part.

In all honesty, while the bad guy intrigued me, it was the construction of the World's Fair that kept me going. Now, if anybody goes on to other Erik Larson books, I recommend Isaac's Storm and not Thunderstruck, as the latter is INCREDIBLY complicated to follow because it is so technical regarding electricity and, an even further stretch, wireless communication. I think most of you would prefer Isaac's Storm because, while it gets a little complicated in regard to barometric pressure and the weather prediction tools of the day, the storm that hit was amazing in its power and speed.

So, discussion?

1 comment:

  1. ok so I don't have a favorite part yet because I just got the book Sat. I think everyone must have gone and bought all the copies in Springfield because there was not one to be found. But I will prevail today I am reading. Well as much as Isaac allows

    ReplyDelete